Opinions sought on Bootleg pianos

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:17:36 EST

pianotun@pirie.mtx.net.au writes:

<< I am a Piano Tuner of 40 years experience in South Australia,where we
 have a annual rainfall of 12-14 inches and a evaporation level of 12 times
 that figure.so any Pianos that come to this area are well and truly put to
 the test.
 The problem is that with the ever increasing number of S/H Japanese Domestic
 Yamaha
 & Kawai pianos being bought to this area I can see a great cause for concern
 for these High humidity designed instruments.
 All of the Pianos drop 30-50 cents pitch in the first year
 The majority have very loose tuning pins
 Any screw removed from any site in the Piano has at least 25% rust the
 length of the screw
 The sound quality is not as good as it could be.( sound board loosing its
 crown ?)
 What I am trying to do is get as many opinions from Piano tuners &
 technicians regarding personal experiences they might have had with these
 pianos being sold to a area they were not designed for.
 On past experiences with any Piano in my area the drying out continues over
 the life of the instrument
 Looking forward to some replies
 Thanks  Robin Stevens

You have the proof that these instruments are falling apart. All you can do
is keep reminding potential customers of the problems associated with these
pianos. If enough people find out, hopefully the local dealer will stop
selling them. Until then, all you can do is tell those who have bought these
imports what to expect in the next couple of years. And, if you haven't
already done so, learn how to rebuild pianos, because you're going to get a
lot of business.

Willem Blees, RPT
St. Louis, USA