Strip Muting/unisons/NZ climate

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:10:12 EST

gharvey@netsource.co.nz writes:

<< We have a fairly humid climate ranging from about 50%RH to 70%RH and
 occasional extremes each side. We never see the humidity drop much under
 45%RH. The temperature range is even less 8 c to 12 c winter and  18c to 24c
 in summer, again with some extremes each side. Quite temperate.
 We do see action sticking problems and do a lot of repinning action centers
 but rarely need to repair soundboards. Virtually no-one here has
 air-conditioning and few have central heating.

Sounds like heaven to me.  Where I grew up in Los Angeles, the climate is
also very mild and temperate but drier than where you are.  I tune my
relatives and a few other customers pianos once every three years and never
need to change pitch.  One time, I tuned the piano which I grew up on and on
which I initially learned to tune in 15 minutes after it had gone for 3
years.  It simply didn't need any more correction than that.  My sister has
it now and her two children are taking lessons on it.  It is a Kimball studio
made in the old factory in Chicago.  I have no doubt that it will last longer
than I will.  It was made in 1959.

Here, in the Upper Midwest, which is a few hundred miles south of the
Southern North Pole where some of those Minnesota guys live (I don't even
want to think about  what it must be like in the plains of Canada), it always
does go from one extreme to the other, every year.  Dampp-Chaser systems help
a lot but even with them, pianos need tuning seasonally.

Just in order to survive and produce a tuning that will hold for a few
months, you have to have very good and stabilizing technique.  You can almost
always count on a pitch change. There are some schools however, that get the
piano tuned only once a year, midway through the Fall.  These pianos are
always at the same pitch.  They must really be terrible in the Summer but are
not used then.  But when school starts in late August or early September,
they must be really bad.  They must also get bad again about this time of
year but by the end of the scholastic year in May, they are sounding OK.

As for it being good for business, not really.  I do have a few customers
that get the piano tuned 4 times a year, many who have it done twice, the
rest just live with it that way.  Some pianos actually get to the point where
the become "seasoned" to the climate.  The house they are in is stable and
they seem to be resistant to whatever changes of moisture do occur.  I'd
rather have a customer who is happy with once a year service than one who is
frustrated with the piano not staying in tune.  They tend to shop around.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin