Erard Grand

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 00:11:43 EST

Bob:

What did Bill have in mind?  The Erard pre-repetition action, the Erard
repetition action, or just a generic modern action on the repetition
principle?  I am not an expert, although I have an Erard grand.  There are at
least two Erard repetition actions which were in mass production;  at least
the first repetition action of the early 1820's and a later version from
about 1850, as in the drawings in Pianos and Their Makers (Dolge).  Either of
these would require either custom manufacture/duplication, or the use of
parts from a piano from the period.  I am not aware that anyone has actually
had new parts duplicated for a replica piano or piano action, but that would
be the best way to get some of these action models made.  If this has been
done, I would be interested also.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University