Opinions sought on Bootleg pianos

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 06 Feb 2000 19:07:55 -0600

>All of the Pianos drop 30-50 cents pitch in the first year
>The majority have very loose tuning pins
>Any screw removed from any site in the Piano has at least 25% rust the
>length of the screw

Hi Robin,
I wouldn't expect any of this to improve as it "seasons" in your climate.
Coming in with the problems they have, they will only get worse. Someone
has a web page up of horror stories about these beasties, with all the gory
details. Maybe he'll ring in with the URL. Meanwhile, I'd just say no. You
might run across an occasional pleasant surprise, but for the most part,
they're the pits.

>The sound quality is not as good as it could be.( sound board loosing its
>crown ?)

Mostly panel (compression) crowned boards, after 20 years in a high
humidity environment under string load, then coming to a low humidity
environment? I'd call that a pretty safe bet.

Ron N