computing partial frequencies -- Call to Arms

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 23:32:42 -0600

 Ron rote....
> So here's the quest. If anyone out there has an inharmonicity
>formula that is set up for actual use by relatively normal humans
>in a spreadsheet or such,

OK...
If you have Quatro Pro, or MS Works, I can send you a spread sheet
file set up to do this.  If you don't have either of these two
programs,
tell me what you have and I will see if either of my two can save
it in your fomat.  If that don't work,  I will try to post it in a
"universal spread sheet pasteble notation"    ---ric  (stands for
"recognizable interchangeble combinations")

Until then, see if this pastes directly into your spread sheet.

+5.3*10^12*0.037^2/(220^2*20^4)

this should come out to 0.936944731

In MS Works  you have to erase the      "       in the task bar.

In Quatro Pro you just paste in +5.3*10^12*0.037^2/(220^2*20^4)

If you don't get 0.9369........   try pasting in     2^2

if you don't get   4    the procedures for your spread sheet are
different.

>From the above the formula,       d  f   L   were entered in
+(5.3*10^12)*d^2/(f^2*L^4)
d = diameter of wire in decimal inches
f = frequency of note
L= lenght of string.

The signs of operation are
^ =  power of
* =  times
/ = divided by

2^2  means  "two to the power of two"
4^(1/2)  means "the square root of four"   ( the computer or
calculator sees this as  4^0.5

For the next series of explainations.......
Email me for articles on "T Math" or "Math for Technicians using
calculators, and or  spreadsheets"
remoody@midstatesd.net