samick tuning pins

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 18:32:43 EST

In a message dated 2/5/00 12:25:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

<< I believe I'd offer to CA the block as a
 relatively low cost, kill or cure type of alternative.  >>

Les,

I usually don't get involved in rebuilding/reconditioning or re-whatever
threads but this one did interest me.  Replacing the pinblock in a vertical
is not that easy.  Many have chosen plugging instead.  I agree with those who
have said that it sounds like delamination or possibly some other kind of
deterioration. You'll need to look at the top of the block by removing
whatever material there is to hide it.

I did want to relate one experience I had.  Because the circumstances made it
possible, I took the pinblock from a Haddorff grand.  It was delaminating but
only slightly.  The pins were a bit loose and jumpy before restoration.  I
used a brand of wood compatible Epoxy that was recommended by Richard
Anderson RPT of Illinois who writes on this List.  I thinned the Epoxy to a
watery consistency with acetone.

I used a hypo-oiler to soak every tuning pin hole (and also plate screw
holes) and tried to flood any areas that were delaminating with the epoxy.  I
clamped the delaminating areas lightly but evenly.  When the first
application was cured, I repeated the tuning pin hole "sizing" that I was
attempting with the Epoxy.  I did nothing more than this and restrung the
piano using 2/0 pins.

In retrospect, I would have used a reamer and I would have sorted my pins
with a micrometer but even though I did not do the last two operations which
might have really made a positive difference, that piano has always had very
tight tuning pins, although a bit cracky and jumpy now for 15 years.  Over
the years, the cracky, jumpy feel has evened itself out.  The piano now tunes
with what I would call a completely normal and good, tight feel.

The point is that the piano you have is relatively young but has a pinblock
problem.  It is also a piano that is worth only a few thousand dollars at
best.  It wouldn't make sense to do work that is valued more than the piano
itself is.  The use of Epoxy or CA glue will provide the restorative
properties to the pinblock that you need.  If you proceed with this project,
I would suggest using the approach I did if you are going to repin.  If there
is delamination, the thinned Epoxy will flow into any areas that are open.
It will soak into any deteriorated areas of the tuning pin holes.

If you give it a double dose as I did, you can be sure that it will size up
those holes so that a regular 2/0 pin might work.  When you are restringing,
use the reamer to even out the hole to make it less jumpy.  If you come
across a hole which is still too large for the 2/0 reamer (such as the one
where you had already put a 4/0 pin), just find the size of reamer that fits
that hole and use that size pin, a 3/0 or 4/0.

I think this is an appropriate way to handle the kind of problem you have
with the grade of instrument you want to repair.  I would say that
restringing it, rather than using the old strings would be your best bet too.
 If you are not an experienced stringer, you just have to think in terms of
getting each coil exactly right, becket closed, pulled up tightly and neatly
before you go on to the next.  Even at that, you will find that you will need
to pick over your job and fix things here and there.  It's not unlike tuning
in that respect.

I would recommend that you install each string this way and pull it right up
to pitch as you put it on.  I used to use a common pitch pipe for this.  The
pitch of each string will drop naturally by more than 1/2 step as you
continue to work.  You will be in a much better position to do the subsequent
pitch raise tuning you must do if you have initially brought each string up
to pitch as you work.

It is a long, hard job but a very satisfying one when you put on that last
string.  I always used to rake my hammer shank used for chipping the string
up to pitch across the strings and think to myself the scene from the film,
"Frankenstein" where the doctor saw that hand move and exclaimed, "It's
alive!"

Good luck,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin