Boston hammer voicing

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Fri, 04 Feb 2000 16:06:13 -0800

Kazuo Yoshizaki wrote:

> I have a question about voicing technique for Boston hammers. I assume
> Boston uses Kawai hammers. Usually, I understand Asian hammers should be
> voiced with European method, but since Boston is designed by Steinway, I
> wonder if it is lacquered like NY Steinway and thus wonder if I should
> needle the hammer like Steinway hammers.
>
> Yoshi

You don't want to hear my opinion on these pianos or it will start a long
"angry thread".  I'll just say that if you use conventional methods other
than Steinway techniques it will come out better.  I would suggest soaking
them with well diluted acetone/poly solution, voice down via alcohol &
water, and then fine voice them via needle.

IMHO.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV