Off-Topic: Free DSL service follow-up

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Fri, 04 Feb 2000 00:29:19 -0500

Clyde,
    Thank You For the interest! In reading through the site
( http://www.FreeDSL.com/default.asp ) I haven't found any info about
purchasing a modem outright opr what the DSL service costs outright but I'm
guessing that the service costs $100/mo. as do all the rest I've seen. This
is pretty heady stuff unless your doing business on the Net. It does make
downloading about as close to the speed of accessing your hard drive as
there is today. At least to the best of my knowledge.
    I would suggest either trying a search engine to find out how much the
modems normally cost or even the auction sites like e-bay or such. I'm only
interested in this because it's free. If I had to buy the modem and pay $100
per month ..... well,  NO WAY! I could not justify that kind of expense
untill it comes down closer to the price of a cable modem. Since we don't
have access to cable modem (no local service in Clevesburg) this is the only
other possibility for faster than 56k.
    If you need any other info I can try to get it for you or you could
e-mail Broadband from the web site above.
    Thanks again,
Greg Newell