computing partial frequencies ---correction

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:27:50 -0600

> Ok guys, I got it. Dumbness! I was looking for something much
tougher and
> more obscure, and there it was all the time. Must've been having
a "slow"
> day, but I'm awake now and can go back to being half fast.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ron N

Yeah, the one for wound strings would be tough I imagine. It must
be obscure because I don't even know where to look for it.  <ahem>
  For tough and obscure in the plain wire formula there is  "radius
of gyration about its neutral axis of cross section."   This must
be a constant because McFerrin conveniently gets that as part of
3.4*10^13, along with PI, the acceleration of gravity , the density
of steel in music wire,  Young's modulus (of elasticity?) for music
wire and the mysterious 1731 ---ric