Quiz

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:20:35 EST

In a message dated 2/3/00 2:13:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, vbela@MIT.EDU
writes:

<< Hello everyone,

 I solved a piano related noise problem that thought it might be good to be
 used as a quiz.

 A bit long.
 It is an Ivers & Pond Grand.
 Board shimmed, restrung, sandblasted action, hammers filed.
 I went to tune the piano today, and found a clicking noise on A5. The kind
 of click that sounds like a loose hammer head.
 -Pulled the action out, checked the hammer, it was fine. Checked the
 screws, loose, tightened them (hammer and Whippen flange). Noise was still
 there.
 -I pulled the hammer off and reglued it. Still clicking.
 -I checked the pinning for hammer flange, rep. lever, whippen flange all
 was fine. The hammer flange had been repinned (not important BTW).
 -I checked for loose jack post but ok.
 -Changed hammer assembly with neighboring one and still making the noise.
 -Checked for foreign object at the v-bar, by the string, nothing there.
 -Lift the damper way up and the clicking has not disappeared.
 -Check to see for some reason if there be anything funky with damper
 underlever, but no.
 -Checked to see if there was anything on the key itself that was loose, eg.
 leads, backchecks, maple piece for the backcheck.
 I was almost giving up umtil I looked at the action from inside the keybed
 (slight hint).
 Another hint if I would play the note quietly, it would not click.
 No other note was making that noise.

 Can you guess what it was?

 I will give the answer on Sunday. Will give more hints if need be.

 Victor Belanger RPT
 Somerville, MA

Pencil, screw or some foreign object loose inside?

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR