1965 Vintage Mason and Hamlin A

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 05:05:50 EST

> Anyone have any
>experience with this vintage of M&H pianos care to comment on its value,
>and
>also whether voicing might bring out more richness in the tone?

Greetings,
   My somewhat limited experience with this vintage is that it commonly has a
poorly engineered action, or the set-up was wrong.  A 9' version of this
brand had more lead in the keys than any action I had ever seen, and it felt
like a truck to play fast or hard.
   As far as the tone goes, I suggest that you take some familiar hammers and
install them in the piano. Voice'em step by step, all the way to death, but
in the process you should be able to get an idea of what kind of horsepower
is in there.  It seems common that a dead soundboard is often first treated
with harder hammers.  A hammer that you know well will tell you a lot more.
Regards,
Ed Foote