1965 Vintage Mason and Hamlin A

Patrick C. Poulson ppoulson@jps.net
Wed, 02 Feb 2000 21:40:25 -0800

Greetings all you Techie Types!  I have a question regarding a piano I was
called out to evaluate today.  It belongs to a woman who bought it in 1997
from a piano warehouse in the S.F. area.  It is a Mason and Hamlin A (5"8")
grand, which puts it in the Aeolian period.  She paid $17,000 back then.
Here is what I found:
    Satin ebony finish, very good shape but some small imperfections
    Restrung @ 1985? - a good job but with 5/0 pins
    New hammers and shanks (unknown make, but possibly Encores from Brooks),
new keybed felt, new key bushings in 1997. Regulated well - work done by
Piano Finders of Walnut Creek.
    Not what I think of as having the usual Mason and Hamlin tone.  It was
more like a bright
    Steinway sound.
    Centripetal resonator in place (what a term!), soundboard and bridges
very good.
    This is definitely the best piano I have ever seen that was associated
with the Aeolian name,
but because of that association I was immediately skeptical of it being a
"real" Mason and Hamlin, and of its market value.  Anyone have any
experience with this vintage of M&H pianos care to comment on its value, and
also whether voicing might bring out more richness in the tone?  Thanks,
Patrick Poulson, RPT