Fischer Upright

Stephen Powell pianotec@ihug.co.nz
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:20:09 +1300

Thanks Roger.  I've often wondered about the possibility of adding plate =
bushings as I hate tuning flagpoles!  However in this piano, the pins =
look like they are all contacting the plate at some point because there =
is so little clearance.  I don't have a torque wrench but I put my =
hammer on a number of pins to get a bit of a feel.  Interestingly, the =
bass was very tight but most of the tenor/treble pins I tried had a =
"spongy" feel although they were tight enough to tune.  I have a feeling =
that no matter what I do with the plate,  I'm going to have to replace =
the block too.

Regards,=20
     Stephen

Roger Jolly wrote:
                      I have done a couple of verticals with this =
problem.
    On most plates you are quite safe in drilling out the plate holes to =
accept a plate bushing.  The plate webs carry most of the stress.
    Select the correct size of drill, so that the bushing is a snug fit. =
Hand ream the pin holes.
    This will cut down on any flag pole effect, and improve the =
tunability of the piano, depending how thick the plate is in the pinning =
area.
    Don't worry if the pin hole and bushing hole don't quite line up, =
when you drive the new pin in it will find it's way home.
    Roger
   =20
   =20