hammer shaping

Michiel van Loon mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 23:13:09 +0100

Terry,
The only way to gang file angled hammers, is to take them out of the paino
and clamp them together.
There were some articles about this subject in the Journal.
Michiel van Loon
Meppel
The Netherlands
mavnloon@xs4all.nl
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: pianolover@worldspy.net <pianolover@worldspy.net>
Aan: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Datum: woensdag 2 februari 2000 19:34
Onderwerp: hammer shaping

>Hi All,
>
>I got my first shot at hammer shaping in the shop, and I wanted to ask for
opinions on a method of shaping several hammers at once. I was told a common
name for this method is called "gang (or group) filing." After each hammer
is individually shaped, either by hand or with a small barrel sanding
machine, then a large square piece of medium or finer grit sandpaper is
actually "pulled" up over a group of hammers, each way, always going toward
the strike point. I can see this method working for the high treble, where
the hammers are all straight, but in the middle and lower sections, where
the hammers heads are at a sharp angle, is this method possible? I couldn't
see how, without rounding the edges. I assume the object of doing several at
one time is to get a uniform, smooth consistency, not necessarily to save a
lot of time. But I just can't see how to "group file" the angled hammers,
without rounding edges. I appreciate all the help I can get on this one!