computing partial frequencies

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 12:22:06 -0600

> I'd like formulas for computing partials frequencies from
physical string
> measurements (diameter, length, tension, freq, whatever), for
plain and
> wound strings. If anyone has such a beastie handy, and wouldn't
mind
> sharing, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron N

Inharmonicity ( I )   for inches. Plain Wire

I = B*n^2

 B = 5.3*10^12*d^2 / f^2*L4

This is from WV McFerrin, _The Piano -- Its Acoustics_.     Schaff
and/or APSCO have this book.   He got it from Robert Young,
"Inharmonicity in Plain Wire Piano Strings."  JASA Vol. 24 May
1952, Page 267.

To calculate  I    you take the value you got for B  times n^2
which is the "mode of vibration"   which I take to mean the partial
number with the Fundamental as the value of one.   Thus the wire
vibrating in two segments  n = 2.    I think......

For metric       B= 3.4*10^13 * d^2 / F^2 * L^4

again multiply this by the n^2   or the square of the partial
number.

ps for wound strings, you might look at Claus Fenner with Jim
Englehardt translator, in past issues of the Journal, or see what
Journal of Acoustical Society of America has.  There might be one
in "The Calculating Technician"    If you read German there is "Das
Musickinstrument" .   or something like that.    ---ric