"Tony Caught" <caute@accessnt.com.au>

Woodrow, John (Parramatta) John.Woodrow@pil.com.au
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 17:06:38 +1000

Tony,
Thanks for the feedback.  I would like to expand on some of the points you
raise and would appreciate your comments.

How does one define the 'tropics'.  For six months of the year, coastal
Sydney has humidity levels of 70+% and temperatures of mid 20's to mid 30
degrees Celsius.  This is not much different to the coastal Queensland towns
for all but maybe the 3 months of summer when the humidity goes a bit higher
and its slightly hotter for longer during the day.

My logic for considering the 'wet' DC is simple. If the DC is trying to
create an environment under the soundboard of 42%, and the external
environment never gets below 55%, then the DC will be permanently on and
flat out trying to dry the board down to a level that this piano has not
experienced since it left the Kawai factory 15 years ago.  Isn't this asking
for the same problems as transferring an old piano from one environment to a
greatly different one.  This is exactly the issue that you stated when you
said that "the issue of a tropical or wet humidistat of 55% RH was developed
to ensure that the heater was not on all the time and that the piano
moisture content was not reduced too much more than the lowest level of
moisture content.

As the lowest RH recorded over the past several months was around 55% for a
perior of only a couple of days, a 42% humidistat must be on all the time,
and the piano moisture content will be reduced too much lower than the
lowest level of moisture content.  Surely the 55% RH humidistat is closer to
the mark if I go ahead given the feedback from guys like Roger Jolly who
said 'let it be'.

Appreciate your comments.

Regards,
John