A sad Hamilton

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:47:29 -0500

Rob wrote:

>Yesterday we were asked to look at a Hamilton.  I would strongly
>suspect the piano was moved to Las Vegas form a humid climate.
>It is literally falling apart in the worst way I have ever seen.
>In addition to the sound board splitting and ribs pulling away,
>the bridges cap, (both bass and treble), have pulled completely
>loose and are literally falling off.  The treble is the worst
>having already moved nearly a half inch downward in some places.
>The piano as you would guess sounds absolutely awful.  The tone
>strongly resembles a banjo sound in a humorous way.  As a joke we
>were playing banjo tunes on it, (Beverly Hillbillies, etc.), and
>it actually sounded pretty good.

How old is this heap? My wild guess is about 15 years old.

Although it looks like a case of "Glue? We were supposed to use something
other than that jar of paste we got in kindergarten??" it might be good
idea to check what kind of bearing the old bridge caps will get you (after
you reattach the ribs).

Patrick