Refinishing Problem

dale r fox foxpiano@juno.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:10:03 -0800

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:56:13 -0500 Wilsons <wilson53@MARSHALL.EDU>
writes:
> Farrell,
>
>     Sometimes problems like this are caused by putting too many
> coats on in one
> day.  A really knowledgeable individual told me that, when I was
> having trouble.
> These manufacturers will say you can put a few coats on and be done
> in a day,
> but it's not so.  Water based or not, or water- borne or not, it has
> to cure.
>
> ---Wally Wilson, RPT
>     Columbus chapter
>     Ravenswood, West Virginia

Actually I have to disagree with this .  I have found that it is
necessary to coat all the color coats on a given piece on the same day
with Enduro.  If the product is allowed to fully crosslink between coats
you will see the layers when you cut it down flat during the rub out
process. As for the orange peel,  sanding takes care of that.    I
generally put four to six coats on consecutively,  allowing the previous
coat only enough drying time the prevent sagging on vertical surfaces.

Other than the need to be organized on spray days,  I love the stuff.
It's cut my refinishing time down to where I almost don't mind having to
do it.

Dale Fox

> Farrell wrote:
>
> > PianoTech Refinishers:
> >
> > I am looking for input from any of the refinishers in the group
> that work
> > with water-base materials. I am having trouble with what I believe
> is
> > commonly referred to as "orange peel".
> >
> > I am using Enduro polyurethane water-base hi-gloss clear-coat
> (numerous
> > refinishers have indicated that it is the "best") with an
> Accuspray spray
> > gun equipped with a #9 nozzle and a 0.043 tip (this is the
> combination
> > recommended by Enduro for the product I am using). My sprayer is
> supplied
> > with air by a 3-stage turbine. I am typically spraying with
> atmospheric
> > conditions of about 80 degrees and 60% relative humidity.
> >
> > My understanding is that "orange peel" (my refinishing is coming
> out looking
> > like the skin of a basketball - only finer grained - is this
> "orange peel")
> > is caused by the material drying before it has sufficient time to
> flow out.
> > It seems to me that 80 degrees is not too hot ( it is hard to get
> it lower
> > in the summer), and 60% humidity is certainly not too dry. I am
> spraying
> > within 6 - 8 inches from the object being sprayed. I am putting on
> what I
> > think is enough material - it looks real wet and if I put any more
> on it
> > will run (I know that for a fact!).
> >
> > What on earth am I doing wrong????? Anyone???? Any ideas?????
> Help!!!!!!
> >
> > Terry Farrell
> > Piano Tuning & Service
> > Tampa, Florida