Refinishing Lighting

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:02:22 -0600

Terry,

A combination of lighting works best for us. Fluorescent, halogen, and
incandescent. Vary the angles from overhead to horizontal and use as much or
little as you need. When it's humid/cold here, we use the halogen and
incandescent as dehumidifiers/heaters and the halogens do a good job o'that.
Hope this helps,
Dale
Ward & Probst, Inc.
Piano & Organ Service
Dale Probst & Elizabeth Ward
Registered Piano Technicians
Wichita Falls, TX
wardprobst@cst.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2000 12:23 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Refinishing Lighting

I'm in the midst of yet another stab at piano refinishing. I seem to have
trouble seeing how much finish is going on the targeted surface (the big
runs appear to be a good indicator of too much going on). I have very good
overhead flourescent lighting, but no mid-level or low lighting. If I am
looking upwards at a surface, it is generally easy to see. But looking
straight on or down at the targeted surface it becomes difficult to see the
finish going on. Spraying on black.....er, a, oh, that's right,
pianos....ebony, it is fairly easy to see the finish going on, but on a
natural (red/brown) stain finish when spraying clearcoats, it is tough to
see.

Anyone have any handy lighting tricks that work well. Maybe someone could
shed some light on this? (Ah, Jeeez, that was bad, wasn't it?)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com