Decibel Levels

Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:19:23 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Airy" <stephen_airy@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 30, 2000 1:56 AM
Subject: RE: Decibel Levels

> I'd like to know what a Bosendorfer Imperial with the lid open played as
> loud as possible (but no so loud you break the strings/hammers) in a
medium
> sized living room (like 15 by 25 or something like that) would sound like.
:)

This brings up an interesting question. Are physically larger pianos
necessarily louder than their smaller counterparts?

Fortunately, I can give a definitive answer to this question: and that is
definitely maybe.

Some years ago I was able to directly compare--an un-rehearsed demonstration
before a live audience of piano teachers and piano players, along with a few
technicians thrown in for good measure--the upright piano we were then
making with a Bosendorfer Imperial. From C=88 down to something below C=28
the upright had both more acoustical power and longer sustain. In other
words, through most of the musical range normally used in normal music.

There are a lot of different elements of design and construction that go
into determining a piano's potential power output, but physical size is not
one of them.

Most commonly it is assumed that the longer scales of the large piano makes
them potentially louder. But through most of the scale there is not all that
much difference in scale length. At least not in their potential scale
length.

Nor does the potentially larger size of the soundboard help. Piano
soundboards are not amplifiers and bigger is not better. Most piano
soundboards are larger than necessary. The functional area of the soundboard
used in the upright was one the smallest of any piano I know of--various
cutoff bars limited its functional size. Certainly it was smaller that that
of the Bosendorfer Imperial.

There is clearly an advantage to having shear size available when building a
piano, but absolute power output is not one of them. What the extra size of
pianos such as the Bosendorfer Imperial does give--at least potentially--is
tone quality and clarity through the first two to two-and-a-half octaves
that comes from the much longer, and less massively loaded, bass string. But
this advantage disappears about two to two-and-a-half octaves up the scale.

Del