Hammers

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:18:28 +0930

Hi Terry

Snip,

> Well, 99% of the homes in Florida have central air conditioning, providing
> one of the most piano-friendly environments around.

When are you inviting me to Florida, our percentage is about 5% of pomes
airconditioned... sometimes.

I service a turn-of-the-century Baldwin R that the woman has had all her
> life (she is about 75 years old), it resides in her home which her
> grandfather built in 1886 - except for plumbing and electricity - which
> remains completely original with palm fronds covering the walls and
original
> wood floors and ceiling. I service this lady's piano all winter until
about
> April - I'll do my last tuning and tell her I'll see her in November (she
is
> an accomplished pianist and I do a lot of fine (or as fine as I can) work
> for her). Her piano has the original soundboard - excellent crown, no
> cracks, and the piano screams (pleasantly mind you - Abel
> hammers...Hmmmmmmm). Pitch doesn't seem to vary more than about 10 cents
at
> environmental extremes (she has called me for service in the middle of the
> summer - whoa, is it ever hot - tuning case in one hand, high-powered fan
in
> the other). But I do suspect this one case is a bit unusual.

Not unusual at all.  In the days that this piano was built the soundboards
were open air dryed, then sized then stored for some time before use. It is
my belief that a naturally dried soundboard does not vary as much as does a
kiln dried soundboard as the structual integrity of the naturally dried
timber has not been subjected to the high stresses of forced kiln drying of
todays practices.
I do find the same thing in many an old piano, a lower cents variation.

And doesn't the piano sing, whant to try to sell her a new piano ? or even
give her one in exchange ?

Regards

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia