transporting grand actions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:27:54 -0500

I transport grand actions in the rear seat of my mid-sized car. I am just
waiting for a hammer or key to get caught on something and break. Or worse
yet, the whole action to slide forward during a quick stop and smash up. And
yes, some of those puppies are HEAVY! I have long thought of constructing an
action case.

A rectangular case just large enough for a 9' action. So I guess it would be
about 4'+ by about 2' by about 6". Perhaps a 2 x 4 or 1 x 4 frame around the
perimeter and thin plywood on the top and bottom. Then just rig up some
simple clamp for the interior to clamp the action in place - perhaps one on
each side - or maybe better yet, short clamps to just catch the rear action
frame and front of the action frame, under the keys. Clamps at one end or
the other would have to be moveable go accomodate various size actions.

Clamp in action. Close case. Have handy handles on case. Use simple
lightweight moving dolly - like the little fold up things used sometimes for
luggage (before all bags had wheels) (or maybe intergral little wheels on
case?). Handles will make shoving action around MUCH easier, and the fact
that you don't have to worry about bashing hammers and keys on things will
also make it much easier to handle - just slide into vehicle without
worrying about bashing action. Pile stuff on top of it!

This project is #673 among the 982 things I really need to do before my next
tuning.  :-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida