When to do it

Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:19:59 +0100

kam@flash.net wrote:

> Wim, Richard, List,
>
> For the record Yamaha makes great pianos.
>
> Now in response to the Richard's comments above, I can establish this:
> I have tuned 20 + Yamaha U1s', late '60s' & early '70s' vintage, for easily
> 15 + years, 2x per year, in a university environment of heavy use and
> changing temperatures/humidities.
>
> Allowing for exceptions to the rule, the lost motion has changed enough
> between visits to use the leather method tip I mentioned earlier in this
> thread.  Before using the leather method tip, I adjusted lost motion for
> each key manually by adjusting the capstan dowels.
>
> These particular Yamahas' I mention are susceptable, and this is one
> documentation for your file.

Duly noted Keith... interesting too I might add as I have never noticed this as a
big problem with Yamahas. Tho I definatly will keep a look out for this in the
future.  Tell you what.. I have at least 30 uprights at the UiB. Yamahas, Petrofs,
Jacob Knudsen, Nordiska (the real ones) Fazer, Schimmel, and Ed Seiler amoung
them. I can keep track of which one does what in this regard in addition to my
humidity and  pitch readings I record each time I tune them.

And I liked Rons idea... we should come up with a set of things to keep an eye on
relateing to possible / likely causes. I have always suspected back rail felt and
whippen cushion felt, tho have never gotten past suspecting. In anycase
collectively I am sure we could bring some more .....scientific light on this
matter.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.