When to do it

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 10:41:06 -0600

>Clyde, List,
>
>A spot of Titebond does it.
>
>I leave the leather pieces on location when not in use, and make it long
>enough so a tail is sticking out when in use.  That way I can easily insert
>and remove.
>
>Keith McGavern aka McLeather

Hi All,
While I don't seem to have a big problem with up and down lost motion
changes with the seasons, I do notice one thing characteristic of new
Yamaha verticals. In most cases, the capstans are set just a tad high, and
the hammer shanks float just at, or slightly out from the rest rail cloth.
I habitually do something like what Keith suggests. I horizontally slit the
little back cushions the rail sits on, half way down and about 2/3 through,
and insert a little piece of bushing cloth. No glue is necessary, since the
bushing cloth is sandwiched in the felt cushion and the nap Velcro's it
into adequate immobility. Eventually, probably depending on climate and
use, everything has settled enough that I can simply pull out the bushing
cloth, touch up capstan adjustment as necessary, and avoid two complete
capstan adjustment procedures.

Sometimes "lazy" works just fine.

Ron N