Remanufactured BB Mason Hamlin

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 20:55:55 -0800

May I chime in ?
Have worked on a few of these from that time period and found them hit or
miss.However then finest sounding aeolian BB on my client list was selected
by the client at the dealer she worked at in 1980. She has agood ear and
selected it from among 6 or 8 pianos (BB,s) This piano received a new set of
premium hammers and voicing and I would choose to live with this piano if it
were mine till death do us part.It has all the tonal variety one could ask
for and it has that magic piano ability to draw the very best creative music
from your soul.You know what I mean. WoW! On the other hand I work on others
that just don,t have it and you go away wondering how it is that the worlds
most over built semi- concert grand could sound so dismal. Right!Although I
have replaced dozens of soundsboards in the steinway piano and have become
familiar with that rather flexible tone producing system I can,t say That I
yet understand this BB sytem except to say that it seems to be a stiffer
system.In general the boards themselves seem to be what I consider to be
thicker than necessary.Coupled with the large and numerous ribs it could be
that there is to much inherent stiffness.!17 ribs for you who where asking.
To answer the question about  the   complete re-man. of these BBs as to  the
tonal outcome of I have just completed a 1929 BB with new everything except
new keysticks and damper assembly. I generally take clues to what is making
a tonal system work from the piano when I can .I.E. even though the board is
very cracked up on this BB the sound was remarkably full and the all
important sustain was very good.Soooo what I then want to know is what are
the soundbd,s thickness , crown and bearing that are contributing to a basic
good sound.In this case the board thickness was roughly .360 which most
rebuilders I know consider reasonable and is also a good dimension for B
stnwy,s.To shorten this I put in a sitka board which is stiffer than the
original eastern spruce retained the sugar pine ribs for  flexibility
,duplicated there thickness and thoroughly  diaphramized the panel and also
planned into the panel . Apply adequate and substantial  bearing and so far
I,m really liking the piano .It is warm with great sustain.A good outcome
.The piano will be on display at the Calif. convention in feb. San
Ramon.Come draw your on conclusions.By the way the piano is for sale ,asking
price 45 K I agree with what you all are saying, when there   right ther
right and when there not ther disapointing but I truly think the care to
which the soundboard system is set up is ultimately the determinent and
primary factor. MerryChristmas and God bless you all for your willingness to
share.
    Dale  Erwin R.P.T.
Modesto,Calif. 209-577-8397