1980 Mason Hamlin BB

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 11:58:37 -0500

I redid a BB from that period.  New hammers, shanks,
restringing, dampers, key  bushings, keyframe felts and
regulation.  It turned out quite good.  Not great but good.
I think I could have improved it by changing the hammer line
slightly.

First, use premium hammers and hang them at an 89 degree
inside angle shank to molding.  Carefully check hammer
location in the top two sections, don't assume the factory
did it correctly.

Check your bearing carefully before and after destringing
and make appropriate improvements.

I doubt the wippens are a real problem, not $800 worth but
if they indeed are bad then replace them.
--
		Newton Hunt
		Highland Park, NJ