Snappy/Jumpy Pins again

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 06:44:54 -0500

'mornin...brrrrrrrrr!

Thanks to ALL for the responses. Some fun facts:

I use almost exclusively a 'impact' style to my technique..that much of my
'touch' is in agreement wih the responses..I guess the one thing that this
situation calls for, besides patience and LOTS of Grey Goose from the bar,
is learning where the low side of the 'window' is for the nasty ones. My
'preferred method for setting strings and pins is to be just on the high
side, test blow for movement, listen, and then make adjustments from there.
This method has served me fairly well so far..looks like I need to modify it
a bit...and borrow Roger's 18' Tuning Lever!..and have a monkey do test
blows for me while I fanagle the "Jolly Lever"!

..now actually, there's a good point..maybe I can modify my tip, also..I
like to use a 4" tip on Grands..It works good for working around the break
areas, and at times, I will go to my Left Hand just because it's easier to
get a more 'relaxed' angle on the pin to work with. I guess I can't relax
with these suckers. If I go with a short tip, will that 'improve' the
potential snappiness in the pin because of the proximity of the lever
itself?..i guess I'll have to find out the next time this player
complains..should be any time now...

This next statement is for the 'just starting out' techs like myself...learn
to use your 'other' hand..on Grands as well as Verticals. Start with unisons
in the Bass to gain confidence and then work your way into setting the
temperament with your 'other' hand'..you'll be glad you did.

I do not want to 'treat' the block..call me stubborn..or Italian!..or
both..i don't care. These pianos 'born on' date is less than 2 years, I'm
sure..they've been in the possession of the Restaurant for 8 months.
I can not - should not - will not treat a block.

Stay warm everyone..how far away is Venezuela?!?!?

 fri(d)gid roo(k)