Missing bridge pins

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:28:44 -0500

For Wim (I think) large font! No doubt Jon's recommendation is the =
preferred way to go. BUT. You mention potential trouble with getting a =
chisel in there (perhaps a drill also?). If this is true, AND we are =
talking about a typical Wurly console (maybe a little worn around the =
edges?) you might consider epoxy.=20

Expose the area. Mix up peanut-butter consistency West System resin with =
their hi-strength adhesive filler. Goop into place. Form it into shape - =
notch shape and all. Insert pins before it sets. Final check on =
shape/level/smoothness. Return in two days, file, scrape, sand anything =
you can to make it better if needed. Replace strings.=20

Epoxy is FUN!

AGAIN - this MAY be a good way to go IF it is not a GREAT piano (in my =
opinion about 99% of Wurly consoles qualify for this designation) AND =
you can't implement Jon Page's recommendations because of access =
limitations.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 8:07 AM
  Subject: Re: Missing bridge pins

  At 12:40 AM 12/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:

    Dear Friends and Collegues,=20

    Today I tuned a Wurlitzer Console (the 2nd of a 4 tunings-3 =
including pitch=20
    raises). When I got to C# 5 at the break, the pitch was at zero. =
After=20
    bringing it to pitch I found wield false beats. Thinking it had to =
be a=20
    problem at the termination point, I removed the knee board and found =
the top=20
    3 bridge pins missing and the bore split. The notch above is also =
split out.=20

    I checked the piano over to see if there was any more notes like =
this, but=20
    there were non. The C#5 at the break is next to the plate struts.=20

    I thought of routing it out and replace with a piece of hard maple =
stock but=20
    the strut makes it difficult to get a router in place. I am not sure =
I can=20
    chisel it out cleanly.=20

    What do you recommend? How much time should I estimate?=20

  Drill for a plug made from pin block material. Epoxy in place, level =
to the surface,
  drill new pin holes and reshape the notch.

  I have used pin block stock for many upright caps and bodies with no =
problems,
  so these plugs should not be a concern.

  Regards,

  Jon Page,   piano technician