Danger technical content!!

Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:21:16 -0800

A drill press can be used pretty much the same way, but...  The drill press
is not really built to be a press. If you only do the occasional job this
way you'll probably never have any trouble, but the drive mechanism on the
drill press is much less strongly built. You're also putting a strain on the
bearings and on the chuck that is probably not all that good for them.

The type of press Jim is talking about only cost $20 to $30 bucks. Go ahead,
splurge.

They come in various sizes and types. Usually they are rated by the amount
of pressure they are capable of delivering. One-half ton, one ton, etc.
You'd have to have a pretty strong right arm to actually generate this
amount of force, but the press would stand up to it. The presses with higher
ratings usually have a bit more leverage and are probably easier to control.
None of them are particularly well made -- well, they are if you want to
spend the really big bucks, i.e., hundreds -- but most are somewhat
adjustable so you can get a reasonably smooth stroke out of them with a bit
of fussing.

The one we use did not have any method of mounting various tips, so I took
it apart and had a hole drilled and tapped dead center. One-half inch by
something. Now I can mount a variety of different tips for various purposes.
We use it mostly for pressing capstans, key leads, etc.

Del