Moderate the list?

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:49:32 -0600

Clyde,  My experience with moderators has been quite different. They
only work behind the scene. All posts directly to the list. The
moderator then works to cut short threads that consist of chit chat. If
someone insists on doing only chit chat or constant chit chat, the
moderator gives ample warning and then removes them from the list.  I've
been on several list with this sort of moderator and it does work well.
A friendly message now and then does not get one removed from the list.
There is no technical editing etc...

Could we work together to obtain the same result? I don't think so.
There are some folks  with very strong opinions out there about how
those of us wanting to tighten up the list to technical subject are
taking something  away from them.  You can't take away something that
you didn't have in the first place.  Our guidelines make that clear.

Rich