Stringing the Steinway buttons

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:38:09 EST

Greetings,
   Avast ye OT subjects, begone one-liner mailbox clutter, die chit-chat!
   So, to attempt the Nossman-etal suggestions for swamping the list-trash
with hard tech and pertinent piano palaver I offer the following:
   It is not uncommon to find that the wooden button anchors, used by
Steinway to connect the bridge to the soundboard under the bridge cut-outs,
are loose from the board, though still firmly fastened to the posts, which
are still firmly fastened to the bridge.  Not only is the thought of any
loose joint on the board anathema, this is obviously a sound transmission
path and should be preserved.  What to do?
    In the past, I have drilled the post out, made a new one, reglued,
clamped, etc.  I have chiseled off the old button, made a new one, reglued,
clamped, etc.  Now there is an easier way I find. Quick, cheap, durable, and
best of all, invisible.  I use a thin piece of sewing thread.
   Begin by placing four short pieces of masking tape on the bottom of the
board, around the button.  This will keep the mess from being left on the
board.  Then, squeeze a small bead of Titebond around the perimeter of the
button.  Take the thread and pull a section near the end of it through the
glue so that it goes between the button and the board, (not unlike dental
floss between your pearlies). It will carry the glue into the joint.  Then,
begin wrapping the thread around the post, under the button.  This will carry
a continual supply of glue into the joint, while also filling the gap,
creating some compression between the button and board, and sometimes
actually squeezing the glue up between the board and post.(I have seen it
come out under the bridge, at times.)
   Once you have wound enough string around the post so that the wrap begins
to reach the outer edge of the button, you are done.  Break the string off,
wipe the glue off the tape, and pull the tape up.  There will be a rock solid
joint left with no further muss. Time from start to finish is about three
minutes, which is a fraction of the time I have spent using the previously
mentioned attempts.  If done carefully, (deaden the tape a little to prevent
pulling that old shellac off), there is no evidence of having been there!
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT