adding notes to upright

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 02:00:40 -0800

I am planning on restoring a Ricca & Son upright that I own sometime when I
have the money.  I also play the piano, and because of my style I often run
out of notes when I reach the end of the keyboard, but I am unfortunately
unable to afford a Bosendorfer.  I was wondering -- is there a way I could
figure out if, and how many, notes I can add at each end of the piano?  I
have room on the key blocks to add extra keys, but my concern is the action
and strings.  I'd like to, if possible, add 5 notes in the bass and 4 notes
in the treble, for a total of 97 keys, or 8 octaves.  What do you think?

Currently it is A1 to F#10 monochord, G11 to B27 bichord, C28 to C88
trichord.  If I extended the keys the way I was thinking, I was thinking
move the mono-bi break to E9 / F10 and either leave the bi / tri break
alone or move it down a half step.