Chickering Value

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:57:43 EST

In a message dated 12/18/00 7:34:22 AM Central Standard Time,
jkinnear@pianoguy.com writes:

> I have a customer who wishes to sell his Chickering Square Grand . .
> It has been completely rebuilt, repinned, and restrung.
> He wonders what he should ask . .  so do I ??
> Obviously, he thinks it is worth a bundle, as visitors always ooh and aah.
> Frankly, it sounds pretty good, given the new strings and restored
> soudboard,
> but a square   is a square, is a square, and it plays like one.
>
> Dated around 1870's, I think ( I've misplaced my Pierce) SER # 35546.
> Could one of you look it up for me while I order another Atlas? Thanks
>
> Piano has been located in the same farmhouse for the past 90 years ( except
> for a trip to the rebuilders).
> Any thoughts on value or disposition . . .??
> Thanks
> Jim

> Jim Kinnear

The value is as much as he can get for it. A lot depends on where he
advertises the piano. If he only advertises locally, there might not be much
of a market. But if he wants to got to the trouble of placing ads in antique
magazines, or even newspapers like the New York Times or the Wall Street
Journal, he might get a better response.

Willem