Old uprights - think twice?

Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:26:14 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clyde Hollinger" <cedel@supernet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 18, 2000 4:16 AM
Subject: Old uprights - think twice?

> Friends,
>
> I am wondering if there is a gradual change in our thinking taking place
> regarding old uprights.  Ten years ago I would have thought that the
> best way to advise owners of these pianos is that they be disposed of.
>
> Yet some of them were very well built, and it seems to me that there is
> a slow but increasing sentiment that at least the better ones are worth
> keeping.  Should we show these old beasts more respect?
>
> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT
> Lititz, PA, USA

Sure, some of them are well built, though not all. And even fewer of them
are really well designed, though their sheer size tends to overcome this
limitation somewhat.

The bottom line is, to paraphrase an obnoxious commercial that came and went
a few years back, "where's the money." I'm past the point at which I find it
necessary to throw tens, or hundreds, of hours at these things just because
I love them. Now I expect my customers to throw money at me to entice me to
do this stuff. Mercenary, I know, but that's how I am these days.

Rebuilding or remanufacturing one of these pianos -- assuming we apply the
same standards to them as we apply to a comparably aged and sized grand --
is not inexpensive. And, truth be told, the finished product just isn't
going to be worth all that much on the open market when the work is
finished. When did you last sell a rebuilt/remanufactured large upright
piano for $10,000 to $20,000? Regardless of the fancy decal on its
nameboard.

Quite frankly, we can probably design and build a new one for what it would
take to remanufacture some of these things. Although, admittedly, not with
the beautiful cabinetry some of the old pianos have -- that would run some
extra. Still, in most cases our customer will probably be better off
shopping around and purchasing one of the several quite decent 130 to 134 cm
(51" to 53") pianos that are available in this price range.

Regards,

Del