Old uprights - think twice?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:08:00 EST

Clyde writes:
<<Yet some of them were very well built, and it seems to me that there is
a slow but increasing sentiment that at least the better ones are worth
keeping.  Should we show these old beasts more respect?>>

Greetings,
     Depends on the money, (one reason I work on pianos).  If the market says
that the "0ld Upright" is worth between $200 and $2000,  how much time and
parts can we invest in them if we are to earn a living?  Usually, not much.
If the owner wants the "old upright" to be "playable", the conscientious tech
must make a decision.  This will often be a balance between giving the
customer fair value for their money, and selling one's time for a fair
return.
    It is, sadly, not uncommon to find a money pit with keys in people's
homes.  Usually the pinblock, but often the soundboard will have rendered the
instrument beyond the point of diminishing returns.  I don't know of any use
for a 70 year old Estey with a bad block, ruined soundboard, and dilapidated
action, other than firewood.
    There are situations where the time and expense is justified.  In my
rental fleet, I have two Steinway uprights from the early 1890's. When I
bought them, (one for $150, the other for $350), they were unplayable and
untunable,  but dang,  the craftsmanship,(visions of a woodcarver in a
canoe!),  was so appealing I couldn't resist. New hammers, pins, strings,
keybushing, action repinning, new springs, dampers, on and on.  I was young
and had more time than money.
   One is now rented for life to a well known pop star.  She said that the
response was the closest she had found to her previously owned Bosendorfer! (
I thought that was a hell of a stretch, but hey,  I have learned not to talk
myself out of business.....).  So far, the piano has returned over $7,000 in
rent and I expect it to continue. She has left with me a standing offer to
sell it to her for 70% of the price of a new one.
   The other (in a non-equal tuning, no less!), is in a popular jazz bar
where it draws raves from virtually everyone that plays there. The rent there
is also a profitable aspect.  The ivory took a little damage,(not the first
teeth to get busted in a bar), but with the Acrylic key repair, that is no
problem. I get at least one call a month from some artist that has played
there wanting to either buy it, or rent one "just like it". It is good
advertising.
   The value of the uprights really depends on individual markets.  Buying,
fixing, and selling them may or may not be good for business, but owning them
can be amazingly profitable.  I think Wim Blees has gotten the program
figured out on upright,(as well as other) rentals, and can possibly give us a
broader picture on the pitfalls and bonuses of using them. Wim?
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
Nashville, Tn.