Research:leather covered hammers

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:02:20 -0600

>...I also wonder if anyone has tried covering hammers with an artificial
>material like Baldwin is using for butts and catchers. It seems to be as
>tough and durable as buckskin in pianos (near as I can tell), and could
>prove to be a relatively cheap and quick fix. I don't know how it would
>hold up hitting strings, but it might be worth testing on a piano that's on
>it's last millimeter of hammer already...
>Ron N

Ron, Diane, List,

I have done this on several occasions in the upper treble area using the
type leather you mention where the hammer faces are worn to a nub.  The
length of the strips travel over the crown and down to the shoulders a bit.

(Not quite an exact science, you know.  But I do attempt to make it look as
even as possible for my individual take on aesthetics  :)

I use a Titebond / CA glue mix for adherence.  Once finished with the
attachment of the leather, I then voice the leather to blend in with the
rest of the section by using such traditional methods as needling, filing,
or hardening with Supertone type hardner concept.

This process has been very successful for low budget situations, and the
results are easily above the adequate level.

Keith McGavern aka McLeather
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild