SV: String Splice Time

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:27:01 -0600

>...What do you do when you spent a 1/2 hour
>tying and the string breaks for the second time?
> Do you tie it again or order a new string?
> Ola Andersson

Ola, List,

As to time my answer is:
Gather several different sizes of music wire, and the tools necessary for
doing a string splice to a work station, and practice, practice, practice.

Eventually, the actually tying of the string knot *easily* takes less than
5 minutes once you get the hang of it.  It is all the before and after
stuff that takes up the rest of the time to do the repair, and the only way
I know to shorten that time process is, the more you do, the more you learn
what to do and what not to do.

As to tying or a new string:
Sometimes try again, sometimes just replace.  All depends.

>> Who pays for the 1/2 hour of time already spent to no use, me or the
>>costumer?

Terry Farrell's post covered this question quite nicely.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild