Research:leather covered hammers

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 10:50:15 -0600

Hi Diane,

My sum total knowledge of leather hammers is just somewhat less than Jim's,
so I'm afraid I won't me of much help there. I can offer one general
purpose observation though. I can't imagine any possible way to keep
reasonably easily interchangeable coverings on a set of hammers through the
violence of play, unless you can invent a sort of micro Velcro. Otherwise,
I'd think it would require glue or a lot of heavy hardware, and lots of
emergency service calls putting back that one that fell off or shifted to
jam the adjacent hammer. I do wonder if something like the mandolin or
rinky tink rails put on players would work with a thin leather covering the
clip on the end of the tabs, no clips and hardened leather, or some other
material.

I also wonder if anyone has tried covering hammers with an artificial
material like Baldwin is using for butts and catchers. It seems to be as
tough and durable as buckskin in pianos (near as I can tell), and could
prove to be a relatively cheap and quick fix. I don't know how it would
hold up hitting strings, but it might be worth testing on a piano that's on
it's last millimeter of hammer already. Ultra Suede has to be cheaper per
square foot than deer skin, comes in a rectangular sheet so there's minimal
waste, and will be of uniform thickness throughout and from batch to batch.
Now, if it will just work in this application...

Sorry, no real answers.

Ron N