Pianotech as Research Arm of our businesses and PTG?

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 03:05:12 -0900

>I'm with Wim on this one...the List is beginning to be either never-ending
>arguments or non-stop questions from beginning tuners.   Hey, I've got an
>idea...I'm outa here!
>
>Bye...
>
>David I.

David,
  I would hate to see you go, you have a lot to share with others.

  I have been thinking about this for a long time, but can only put this in
a beginning format, perhaps others will help.

  Most successful businesses spend a large portion of their budgets on basic
research, research into new products, improvements of existing products or
methodology, better ways of marketing themselves and their products....

  Most piano tuners, however, are so busy getting to the next of today's
five or six tunings and then home to phone to confirm tomorrow's schedule,
that their research generally has to be limited to a few hours stolen from
the production job in the shop, or those brilliant flashes of inspiration
that come during the reverie of tuning.  And there is _no way_ that they can
hire the research scientists in other fields that could shed more light on
the problem.

  _However_ lurking on this list nightly are hundreds of talented and
intelligent individuals with diverse backgrounds who now participate in some
way in the field of piano technology.  They have turned from watching the
boob tube to reading "non-stop arguments or questions from beginners" to
quote David.  How tragic!

  What a valuable resource we all have at our fingertips!!
If only we could find a way to initiate research topics, attract those
individuals interested in a given topic to join the team, assign tasks,
accept responsibilities, do experiments in our shops and on our jobs, come
together in chat rooms to discuss current findings, report preliminary
findings back to the general pianotech list, perhaps pick up a piece of
valuable insight from someone not on the team who reads that preliminary
report...... and maybe someday _revolutionize_ that aspect of our profession
for the benefit of all of us.

  I don't know how to do this, only that it should be possible.  I have met
many of you, read your messages for a year and a half now, and know that the
talent is there and that it is not being challenged.

  Perhaps some of you out there would have some interest in pursuing these
thoughts.

  My next post to pianotech, which I didn't want to mix in with this because
of its personal nature, will describe a piano related research project of
modest scope that I am starting because of the needs that have arisen in my
business pertinent to my life.  I know that there are individuals on
pianotech who have knowledge already that would shed light on my questions
and I suspect that there are others who might have similiar needs, if not
today, perhaps in the next five or ten years.

  There are many topics that I have been able to identify over the past 22
years and I know that others have also done so.  It just seems that
pianotech is the best possibility that I have ever seen for joint efforts on
research questions that could benefit all.  Anyone interested?

  Diane