The tuner controversy

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:14:41 EST

In a message dated 12/16/00 3:24:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

> I sat in on a ETD tuning exam this summer in Arlington. The person got
> marks in
> the 30's and 40's for the Aural section... didnt have a clue. In the ETD
> part the
> person passed... varying marks from a low 80 to one 98.  You want to
> certify this
> person... go for it. Because thats the kind of thing that will happen if you
> follow this road to its logical conclusion.
>
> --

I sat in an exam in Arlington for a guy who could pass with an ETD but not
aurally. He failed the aural part of the mid range, and passed the other
parts with an ETD after retuning the mid range with it. But he was not even
close with his unisons and confessed that he used an ETD for them as well.
Afterwards he kept saying that aural tuning was archaic and will be a
forgotten art within years because of the advancement of electronic tuning.

What happens when his machine fails such as a worn out battery that will no
longer charge up? Some customers have good ears and can tell a wild octave
but if the tuner is not good at aural tuning he could not tell the
difference.

The final result is how good it sounds to the ear, not how good it sounds
with an ETD.

I rest my case.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter