String Splice Time

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:20:49 -0600

Hi Terry,

If the string breaks at the coil, I use the original wire for the splice.
Pry it off the pin, uncoil enough to splice to the other side of the break,
put back on pin, tighten. Tools:  round nose pliers to remove coil, make
loops for splice, string lifter to pull coil up, tuning hammer to tighten.
Occasionally flat nose pliers to tighten becket against pin, small
screwdriver blade to lift coil in tight spaces.  I carry these tools in my
tuning kit. The knot takes one coil away usually leaving two on pin. Takes
about five minutes.
Universals take about fifteen minutes assuming the van is not across the
county. I carry four sets that APSCO offers and like Keith have had mostly
positive experience with them. You can replace both strings in a bass unison
if you have to but I haven't had to do that often.

Durability of splices: I tuned a Kawai KG6C Thursday that I spliced some
treble wire on ten or more years ago. While the gospel pianist has broken
many bass strings since then, the treble wire continues to hold. This has
also been my experience at the college. In both venues, pianos receive more
than their fair share of abuse.

Advice- I heartily recommend purchasing Newton's guide from PTG. I believe
Joe Garrett also has one he sells through Pianotek. I really like Newton's
and it too is part of my daily kit. Way to go Mr. Hunt!

Best,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT
Member, TEAM2001