What is and what is not a piano tuner .

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:39:03 +0100

Nice posting Conrad.. I appreciate someone sticking to the point.

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> Richard, et al,
>
> In the continuing legal awareness climate engendered by the electoral
> situation, may I suggest that this nomenclature discussion is apples and
> oranges.
>
> de facto - of fact
> de jure - of law
>
> De facto
> - I am a tuner because I say I am.  I have people who are happy with what I
> do to their pianos and actually call me back for subsequent treatments.  I
> am a professional because I (gladly) accept payment for these treatments,
> and derive no income from other  service activities.
> -Other people call me "tuner"
>
> De jure (sort of)
> - I am a PTG member of RPT status.
>

> De facto de matter is dat I'm a tuner by general consent.  It is the end
> product which determines that fact.  How I get there makes no nevermind.

I have been saying exactly this all along... AND I have been saying that you
cannot call an apple an orange, or the reverse as it were.

If we are to contrive some assessment of a persons abilities (the origional line
of these threads) then it can not  have anything to do with de-facto issues.

> If an ETD tuner without aural skills has the ETD knocked off the piano and
> smashed on the ceramic tile floor by a frisky family feline  friend and can
> no longer adequately continue, that person ,IMHO, is not a tuner.  The
> tuning was never really completed, therefore no end product, therefore no
> basis for granting the status "tuner".  (Note: I originally made the typo
> "tuber".  Maybe Freud would say that that person is a piano potato? )

We are agreed.

> - The day I have to agree to a government agency determining what is/is not
> a tuner is the day I go "off-grid".

grin.. well this is another thread so I will leave it beyond to say that your
support the government determining  what is or is not a piano tuner either.
(depending on how you interpret the word "determining" that is...)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.