ETD's, calculators and the exam

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 22:44:45 EST

In a message dated 12/15/00 4:10:27 AM Central Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

<< But if this is to be allowed... then the test has to
 be redesigned such that it can be confirmed that the examinee can indeed
identify
 when the machine has made a mistake. Ergo... the examinee must be able to
tune on
 his / her own without the help of the machine. Since thats what we need to
assure
 ourselves of. In the end I am not quite sure I see the point in moving
towards
 ETD assisted tunings when we already know a qualified tuner can use ETD's
very
 successfully and the purpose of the test is to see whether or not a person
can
 tune without them. >>

The purpose of the exam is to see if a tuner can tune a piano to the
standards the PTG has set forth. How that person arrives at that point is
entirely up to the inividual. He/she can do it standing on his/her head,
using a ratchet for all we care, as long as the end result is a tuned piano.
We do not check hammer technique, or ask what temperament is used. We don't
even require a particular tuning fork, as long as the fork is tuned within
the variance of the examiner machine. It is required that the examinee
aurally tune one note to the fork, and two octaves in the middle of the piano
(C3- B5) . Those are the only two aural requirements for machine tuners.

I am sure you will agree that being able to aurally tune two octaves in the
middle of the piano is not a true sign of being able to tune a whole piano.
There is a lot more to it than that. And that is why I am not convinced that
requiring that part of the exam is that crucial.

I'll tell you what. I would much rather have a person tune a piano only using
a machine, than some of the people I've had to pass who were strictly an
aural tuner. In fact, some of the Associate members who are out there tuning
by ear have no business being in the business. Yet they pass themselves off
as piano tuners. And from what you are saying, you would regard them more as
piano tuners than those who tune strictly by machine.

Willem