ETD's, calculators and the exam

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 01:29:19 +0100

kam544@flash.net wrote:

> Dear Richard, List,
>
> I much prefer the word affirm, Richard, rather than your choice, purport.
> Affirm is clearly, by dictionary definition, much more appropriate in what
> I am presenting.

As you wish...

> That being said ... I fail to see how any individual who is able to leave a
> piano in a tuned state has not clearly demonstrated steering the process of
> tuning the piano to that place, both intellectually and mechanically,
> regardless of the method of operation used.

Then I cant help you. You seem more unwilling to see this then unable. This is
really elementary Keith. I have drawn up enough examples now that clearly
demonstrate how this "end result" can in no way be the guarantee that you seem to
insist it is, that I wont bother with any more.

> By method of operation for clarification, I am basically refering to any of
> the following choices: aural only, aural with electronic assistance,
> electronic with aural assistance, electronic only, or even some other means
> of which I am currenly unaware.

Perhaps a full blown automatic tuning machine in which the "proffesional piano
tuner" need only know how to turn on a power switch ??  How little does a person
have to know before you can no longer qualify them as a piano tech ?

> Keith McGavern
> Registered Piano Technician
> Oklahoma Chapter 731
> Piano Technicians Guild
> USA

And now... unless somebody else has something new to say... I think I will say
goodnite. grin.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.