Last octave/stretching, etc.

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:47:18 EST

Greetings,
Following my posting about using excessive sharpness in the top octave, Bill
Bremmer writes:

<<The problem I see with what you did is that it is purely arbitrary. >>

    No,  that is not what arbitrary means.
arbitrary adj.
1. Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or
principle.

     I think it is evident that I had a reason, necessity, and principle
behind what I did.  This makes it non-arbitrary. (plus, so far, Mr. Bremmer
is the only one with a problem here, and he never heard the tuning! )

 >>You  simply "jacked up" your FAC program artificially by a number you
picked out
of thin air, you didn't match or blend any coincident partials. <<

No, I simply used the tool in a more sophisticated manner than that which Mr.
Bremmer has  consistantly stated is his preference. ( and just how many
partials are there in the last five or six notes?)

>>You could  have ended up in the same range by actually tuning these notes
to something, not just "punching up numbers" as you admit to having done.<<

    If I wanted to end up in Memphis,  I could forego the car and walk, too.
Anybody that wants to take the hard route to where they are going is welcome
to.  I won't even call them foolish for doing so.

Bremmer again:
>> Of course no one complained, it would have been unprofessional for them to
have done so. <<

No,  I invite critique of my work, and I charge enough so that there is no
shyness in my customers about the quality of my work.  It is only
unprofessional to complain about a cheap tuning.

>>Next time, read the SAT manual and  see what it says about tuning octaves
instead of experimenting on the job.>>

      No, I don't need to read the manual again to satisfy my customers.   I
was not experimenting on the job.  I was tuning the piano to meet the
specific request of a pianist.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT