The Final Result (more)

Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:03:34 +0100

kam544@flash.net wrote:

> Richard, List,
>
> >Must dissagree emphatically.  The ability to turn and
> >set a tuning pin is only a small part of what a piano
> >technician needs to know...
> >Richard Brekne...
>
> Bingo!

Looking for anything possible to hit on eh Keith ??  BINGO ?????

> Here's something from another post of your submitted earlier today which
> supports the word usuage I have been presenting to you.  You use piano
> technician as your reference, not piano tuner, which is only what I
> suggested from the get-go.  Ironic, huh.

Nothing ironic about it at all.. read into it what you will... reality is its
simply a typo.. I have a tendancy to type a bit fast when I get engaged.  So
much for that "point"

> >  Any person who can not tune
> >a piano useing aural skills alone is not a piano tuner in my book...
>
> And here you qualify your concept of a what a piano tuner *is not* by using
> the phrase, "in my book".  I can accept that viewpoint, Richard, without
> reservation, keeping in mind that's only one book out of many that exist in
> life, not even considering all the chapters therein.

That kind of viewpoint is peculiar to this last hundred years or so where the
idea of universal truths have been dismissed... everything now has become
relavant.  Sad that so many buy into this kind of nonsense.

Human endeavor is human endeavor. When we let machine decide then it is no
longer human endeavor. You "definition" of what a piano tuner is includes this
as a possibility. It is therefore in error as piano tuning is a human endeavor.

But then perhaps you are willing to go so far as to remove this art of ours
from the realm of human endeavor as well ??? Think a bit closer about what you
have been saying Keith.

> It's been educational.

I think not. You have preformed poorly and displayed only a desire to find
whatever hole in argumentation you can, and at whatever price. A particularilly
sophist approach, which has severed no educational purpose whatsoever. But if
you wish by your above statement to end this recourse.. then so be it. I am
sure we will have another go at each other in the future..

> Keith McGavern
> Registered Piano Technician
> Oklahoma Chapter 731
> Piano Technicians Guild
> USA

Now just in case anyone thinks any of this is inflammatory... Let me state
emphatically that I have the greatest respect for Keith. I enjoy immensely
these little sparing sessions we have. I say every single word with a healthy
portion of humour in my heart, and feel confident in Keith as the fine person
he must be that he is able to take all this in the spirit in which it is meant,
and offer in return his viewpoints in that same spirit.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.