Tuning after regular hours (was Home Alone)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:11:55 -0500

I am building my business, so I tune a couple evenings a week and about one
Saturday per month on average. As I get busier - because I do not mind a few
evenings and occassional Saturdays - I think I will likely add a surcharge
to evening and weekend appointments - say perhaps a $20 prime-time fee. If I
get so sucessful that I need to spend all my evenings and weekends counting
my money, I will likely just refuse to work at those times.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clyde Hollinger" <cedel@supernet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 7:12 AM
Subject: Tuning after regular hours (was Home Alone)

> Ola,
>
> In my newsletter I give the client options I can think of, such as asking
a relative or friend to be present, leaving a key with a trusted neighbor
> (and telling me where to go, of course), having me call them at work so
they can come home and unlock, leaving a key somewhere outside.  It depends
> on what is wise for their area and what they are comfortable with.  I will
*always* lock the door when leaving unless they specifically tell me not
> to.  (Even that got me in trouble one time.)
>
> I've been thinking about this from time to time.  My current practice is
to inform the client that I, like everyone else, want to have my evenings
> and weekends free.  I will do an occasional tuning for a regular client
during those times if there is no other reasonable option for the situation.
> For example, in a local fine arts center I will do a Sunday morning tuning
for a Sunday evening concert if some other group was using the building
> and the piano Saturday evening.
>
> I also went to a house very late when they came home and found water in
the piano due to a plumbing problem, and in another instance when a soft
> drink was accidentally spilled onto a grand piano action the day before
the concert.  We have to do those things.

> Your response may also depend on how badly you need the business.  When I
was getting started I was much more flexible.  In fact, I had another
> fulltime job, so nearly all my tunings were evenings and Saturdays.  I am
away from that almost entirely.  Most clients can figure out a way if they
> really want the tuning.  I do sometimes agree to come a little earlier or
later in the day than usual to accommodate someone.

> I would be interested in feedback on this idea:
> I've considered establishing a policy that I will do evening and weekend
tunings for an additional fee, perhaps 10% or 25% for established clients
> and 50% for non-clients who are in an emergency situation.  That way if
someone is desperate enough they can get the work done, rather than have
> everyone in the area turn them down flat, and they should be grateful and
pay the fee willingly.  The question is, will they?  Comments?

> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger
>
> Johan Ola Andersson wrote:
>
> > What about late appointments?
> >
> > I feel it difficult to find time for tuning when the costumer often
comes late home from job and wants me to tune in the evening or on
saturdays.