The Final Result

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:48:19 -0600

Dear Richard, List,

Thank you for your response and additional comments.

>...No I have not presented any evidence to support the standing definition
>of a
>piano tuner. If you wish to challange this point...

By your own admission, Richard, if you can't even support what you are
trying to present, what would there be to challenge other than what I've
already posted?

So this may only be a matter of semantics, but the only qualifications I
see necessary to call one's self a piano tuner is to be able to do just
this, bring a piano into tune and set the tuning pins while doing so,
regardless of the process.

I feel certain you are taking exception to something else other than what
you state.

>...The fact that one can turn on a machine, and make the dials stop...
>even go so far as to be proficient at setting pins in no way whatsoever is a
>guarantee that the individual understands jack didly about what a piano tuning
>is.

It, likewise, is no guarantee that they don't.  And by your own admission
in another post today to Newton, "Of course as in all things... there are
exceptions to the rule."
(Re: Pin Torque minimum standard?)

>Any future testing proceedure simply has to establish that a prospective
>tuner does indeed understand and has a working knowledge tuning.

Here's where you reveal that you are indeed taking exception to something
else.  That is, testing the *degree* of understanding and working knowledge
by agreed upon standards of how well that tuning is done.  Now that is
another matter, and one I was never addressing.

>This may sound arrogant to some I suppose... but it really quite simple. The
>skill of setting pins in no way encompases more then a small part of the scope
>of what a piano tuner has to be able to do and know.
>Richard Brekne

Once again, I will point out for your consideration, if one uses the words
piano technician instead of piano tuner, what you say would be far more
digestible.

A possible example for considered clarification:

Using the concept of a fry cook and a chef, that is, it is not likely a fry
cook could perform the duties of a chef, but nonetheless *is* preparing
food everyday.  On the other hand, it is quite likely a chef could easily
perform the duties of a fry cook, but essentially does much more than that.

Therefore, even though there is a difference is the outcome of the final
product, depending on who is consuming, there is no difference in the fact
that food is being prepared for consumption.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731