Pin Torque minimum standard?

Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:14:14 +0100

Ahhmmm... yes yes yes Newton... good point indeed... mushroom
and moot I daire say.... that being said....it is generally the
rule that when pins reach a given torque reading they generally
start becoming a general problem... or at least threaten to
become so.... generally speaking mind you.

Humans are quite often creatures of generalities... we say for
example that if we observe 100 people who smoke... and 76.4 of
them die of lung cancer.....where as an observed 100 non smoking
people displayed only 23.79 deaths due to lung cancer (and at
least 66.2 percent of these lived with or in close proximity to
smokers), that we in general assume smoking to be a likely cause
of lung cancer.

Likewise, with torque readings and tuning pins. When we observe
that in the vast majority of events tuning pins with torque
readings under 50 "£'s fail to hold tunings, and that in many
cases tuning pins with less then 10"£'s can become dangerous
spinning projectiles when pulled to reasonable tuning tensions,
then we generalize that perhaps.... generally speaking mind you,
that we should think about the possibility of maybe setting some
general guidelines... or standards if you will as pertaining to
the viability of maintaining such instruments in such state.

Of course as in all things... there are exceptions to the rule.

Hope you are feeling well these days my freind.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.