Different Pitch Raising Sequence

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 03:19:39 -0500

That particular one was at a civil-war-era home that the park service had
taken over and was converting to some type of park-thing. The lady
park-person said that the home had been only been occupied by a crazy old
lady since the depression (presumably she may not have been so old then!)
and then the home was vacant since the 60's. So presumably perhaps the piano
had not been tuned since the 1920s???

I did a Yamaha P-22 a little while back for a COMPOSER of music. He bought
it in 1970. He got his free tuning for the new piano in 1970. I was the next
tuner this year. My recollection is about 150 cents flat. Brought that
rascal up to 440 in 2-1/2 passes (I often make an extra pass in the high
treble area).

I remember an old upright that I brought up to 440 that the lady had a clear
recollection of when her dad tuned it in the early 1950s. I was about 200
cents flat. Boy I think I did four or so passes on that one.

I think a stable piano that had been tuned regularly commonly might take 10
to 20 years to go 50 cents flat. (just a guess)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com